1 NDMP CopyTransfers directory trees between filers using NDMP (Network Data management Protocol)
- Ndmpcopy transfers data between filers/v-filers using the Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) versions 3 and higher.
- This process can be thought of as creating a dedicated data pipe between dump running on the source filer and restore running on the destination filer.
1.1 Pre-RequisiteTurn on ndmp by
Filer > ndmpd on
Ping the filers each other and make sure they are reachable
Make sure that the Data ONTAP release on the filers you are using for the copy support NDMP version 3 and/or higher.
Filer >ndmpd version
For filers running ONTAP version 7.X, change the ndmpd authentication type to challenge
Filer > options ndmpd.authtype challenge
1.2 How to run ndmpcopy commandFrom the filer use the following syntax to run the command.
ndmpcopy [options] source destination
Where, source and destination are of the form [filer:]path
-sa username:password This is used for authenticating at source filer
-da username:password This is used for authenticating at source filer
-st text | md5 Source filer authentication type
-dt text | md5 Destination filer authentication type
-l 0 | 1 | 2 Level 0,1 and 2 copy (default is 0)
-f Force flag
Filer > ndmpcopy -sa root:password –da root:password /vol/vol_s 10.100.201.10:/vol/vol_d
In this example /vol/vol_s directory on the source filer is copied to /vol/vol_d on filer 10.100.201.10
-sa root:password option is specified to user is root and password is “password” for the source user authentication and –da for the same purpose at destination filer, Screen shot.
1.3 Problems Faced and Lessons Learnt
- Initially filer was giving ndmp authentication error, this was fixed by specifying the username and password (-sa and -da) option.
- NDMP can copy at qtree level, but can not copy individual sub directories
- Snapshot backups are taken for copying the data and snapshot copy is deleted after transfer is over.
- No need to restrict the destination volume for copy.
- Also ONTAP version 7.x requires, ndmpd.authtype set to challenge
Please write your valuable comments, about my blogspot.